How to block a website on your computer, phone or network
There are several reasons why you might want to block some websites on your computer. Some websites may spread the virus, contains explicit content or even be tempted to steal your personal data. Although it may be more able to avoid these sites, but it is not worth for anyone who uses your device. In such cases, it might be better to block some websites.
There are different ways to block websites. You can choose to block specific websites only browsers through the operating system or your network router. The following shows how to block websites.
On your computer
If you want to control access to websites on a single machine, you can configure the block in the operating system level. This method to block websites are not too difficult to set up and work in all browsers.
One of the pillars of the Internet is the system that translates names that are easy to remember (and type) DNS as www.google.com IP address equivalent (188.8.131.52). While using DNS servers to reach websites, your computer also has something called a HOSTS file that may have this information stored locally. This can be used to disable access to unwanted Web sites. We tested this method with Windows 7 and Windows 8.
1. Make sure you have administrator access on your computer. Log in to your PC with an administrator account and go to C: \ Windows \ System32 \ drivers \ etc \
2. Double-click the file named “hosts” and select Notepad from the list of programs to open the file. Click OK. The last two lines of your hosts file should read “127.0.0.1 localhost #” and “# ::1 localhost”
2a. If you can not edit the file, you must right-click the file and select Host Properties for labeling. Click the Security tab, select the administrator account, and click Edit.
2b. In the pop-up window, reselect the account and check the total control. Click Apply> Yes. Now click OK in all pop-up windows.
3. At the end of the file, you can add addresses to block websites. To do this, simply add a line to the end of the file, with 127.0.0.1, and then the name of the site you want to block – this will redirect the site name to your local computer.
4. To block Google, for example, add “127.0.0.1 www.google.com” at the end of the file without the quotation marks. You can block as many sites as you want this way, but remember that you can only add a line of per.
5. Repeat this step until you have added all the websites that you want to block.
6. Now close the hosts file and click Save. Restart the computer for the changes to take effect and see that all Web sites are blocked.
Who follows shows how to block websites on OS X.
1. Make sure you have administrator access to your Mac. Terminal Now open. You can find it in / Applications / Utilities / Terminal.
2. Type sudo nano / etc / hosts and press Enter. Enter the password when you are prompted.
3. This will open the / etc / hosts file in a text editor. Enter the site name on a new line in this format “127.0.0.1 www.blockedwebsite.com” (without the quotation marks). For each Web site that you want to block, start a new row and enter the same command with only the name of the site that is being replaced. When you are finished, press Ctrl + X, then Y to save the changes.
4. Enter the command sudo -flushcache dscacheutil and press Enter or restart your machine to make sure that the websites are blocked.
Browser level blocks
Blocking a website in a browser is the best way to get the job done.
In Firefox, you can install a plugin called BlockSite to block the site.
1. Install the form, press ctrl + shift + a, and then click Extensions to the left. Now click BlockSite Options. In the pop-up window, click Add and type the name of the site you want to block. Repeat the process for any websites you do not want to access. Click OK.
2. Now these sites are blocked in Firefox. You can also set a BlockSite password to prevent others from editing the list of blocked sites. This can be done via the menu of options described in the previous step.
BlockSite is also available in Google Chrome.
Internet Explorer allows you to block websites with ease. Here’s how.
1. Open the browser and go to Tools (alt + x)> Internet Options. Now click the Security tab, then click the red icon for restricted sites. Click the Sites button below the icon.
2. Now, in the pop-up window, manually enter the websites that you want to block one by one. Click Add after typing the name of each site. When you are finished, click Close and click OK in all other windows. Now these sites are blocked in Internet Explorer.
On your phone or tablet
Apple has parental control tools that allow you to block certain websites. Here’s how.
1. Go to Settings> General> Restrictions.
2. Tap Enable Restrictions. Now set a password for the restrictions. This should ideally be different from the password used to unlock the phone.
3. After setting the password, scroll down and tap the websites. Here you can choose to limit adult content or allow access to specific websites.
4. Specific sites only, there is a short list of allowed sites, including Discovery Kids and Disney, but you can also add sites by tapping on Add a website.
5. Restrict content Adult touch, from Apple blocks unacceptable websites, but you can post a whitelist of websites by tapping Add Web Site to Allow or Blacklist by clicking Reject Always.
6. A message indicating that it is limited If you try to access a blocked site, it appears. Touch Allow Site and enter the password restrictions to open this site.
In Android, you need to edit the hosts file on your device to redirect the sites you want to block. You will need a file manager and a text editor. The easiest option is to use our ES File Explorer application which allows you to do both. Here’s how it works.
1. Install ES File Explorer Open ES Explorer and press the “/” button at the top. Press System>.
2. In this folder, you will see the hosts file – tap and the pop-up menu, tap the text. In the next pop-up, touch ES Note Editor.
3. Press the three points to the right and press it down.
4. Now you edit the file, and block the sites that you want to redirect your DNS. To do this, just start a new line, and type “127.0.0.1 www.blockedwebsite.com” (without the quotation marks, where the blocked website is the name of the site that is blocking) for each Web site that you want to block . For example, you should write 127.0.0.1 www.google.com to block Google.
5. Restart your Android device.
If this method is too complex for you, you can install an antivirus application like Trend Micro that allows you to block websites.
1. Install the application and run it. Go to Options> Secure Browsing.
2. Now pass parental control and click Set up account. Create an account and you will see an option called locked in the list of applications. Touch and press Add. Now, add the sites you want to block one at a time. Once done, you can not access these websites on your Android smartphone.
You can not do a complete blocked websites on Windows Phone, you can buy AVG Family Safety browser. By default, malicious blocks from websites or explicit content and if you buy a license AVG antivirus and create an account, you can customize the list of blocked sites.
On your network
If you have a Wi-Fi network at home, it is easier to set up a block of unwanted websites through your Wi-Fi router. Most routers do not have very nice interfaces, so this Can be a bit intimidating, and of course, the steps may vary for each router, but the basic process that follows is quite similar so if you are a little patient this is really very easy.
Changing the wrong setting could accidentally disable your connection, so if you are stuck, call your ISP immediately.
1. We tested this in a Beetel 450TC1 router provided by MTNL in Delhi, and a Binatone router provided by Airtel. The steps are exactly the same for both. To start, you go to the configuration of your router. Open a browser and type 192.168.1.1 in the address bar. Press ENTER. Some routers use a different address, so if this does not work, check if it is mentioned in your ISP’s documentation.
2. You must now enter a username and password. This would have been set up during the installation of your connection – the default values ??are usually the username: admin, password: password. Otherwise, check with your ISP and obtain the correct username and password.
3. As mentioned above, the interface may be different. MTNL on our router, we found that we could block websites under Access Management> Filter.
4. This is a drop-down menu called Select Filter Type. Select URL Filter and type the site you want to block in the following URL field. In the field, there is an option called active. Here we saw two buttons, Yes and No Select Yes and click Save. This blocked our network site.
5. You can create 16 lists of blocked sites, each with 16 sites, using this method, allowing you to block up to 256 sites. Again, this varies from a router or router.