How to cook rice
Cook a pot of rice is one of those things every day that everyone has to do, but there is often confusion about the best way to do it. One of the biggest problems is you want to avoid sticky rice at the base of the pot, or burned completely. Beyond that, you also need to ensure that rice is the consistency that suits the food is added
1. good quality rice to buy a good quality result. old rice will not produce a tasty meal or a light fresh rice. Rice can be cooked in water, broth, milk or broth.
2. Determine whether or not to wash the rice. For rice bought in a Western country, it has been washed and cleaned before buying. simply wash remove nutrients (for example, the United States, usually ordinary rice is fortified with vitamins and minerals such as iron and niacin). However, washing is considered useful to separate the rice grains (and is often done in Asian countries), resulting in plump rice, cooked lighter with a more complete grain sticking. Larousse Gastronomique and recommends that if the rice has been pre-treated or pre-cooked, which should always be washed with running water and drain well before cooking.
Washing will remove a good percentage of starch in the grain, leaving intact protein.
3. Out of basmati and wild, no need to soak the rice unless the recipe says. If you choose to soak, or if a recipe calls, the usual method is:
Soak the rice in cold water for 30-60 minutes; or
Rinse or wash the rice in the sink until the water is clear enough to see the rice through it. Basically, keep running the water down while the rice is stirred until the cloudy white becomes clear.
Soaking rice improvement includes basmati, Thai and long grain rice.
4. Cook the rice is al dente (firm but not hard), with separate grains, retaining its flavor. This does not apply to cooked rice in milk for the purpose of serving or sticky rice.
5. Be careful not to break the grains unless the desired effect. There are two actions that can cause the grains are broken, resulting in a mushy mess. The first is to add salt to the water, which the chef Paul Gayler recommended against.Equally not stir the rice during cooking as this will also make the grains are broken, which gives the sticky rice (unless this the effect you are looking for, of course). Even stick the spoon to taste rice can affect its structure during cooking. The only exception is risotto, which must be agitated.
Salt is not necessary when the rice is cooked, but some leaders believe should be added. Unless a ridiculous amount of salt is added, does not significantly change the temperature or the boiling time, but it will improve the taste of rice. However, you can break open grains as mentioned above, so would like to experiment to see what works best for you.
6. Use a pan or pot. Rice needs lots of space cooking to prevent sticking or burning, give them space to move. Grains also expand slightly.
7. Have a rough idea of ??the amount of rice. Standard quantities of rice offered are Larousse Gastronomique:
65 g (2 oz 1/2, 1/3 cup) per serving for a main course
25 g (1 oz, 2 tablespoons) per serving for an appetizer
40g (1 1/2 oz, 3 tablespoons) per serving dessert
50 g (2 oz) uncooked person pilafs
25-40g (1-1 1/2 ounces) per person for salads
15-20 g (1.2 to 3.4 ounces) per person for rice pudding.
8. Always remove the rice from the pan or pot as soon as it cooks. It will continue to cook in the pan with the risk of overcooking if left there.
For the test of “cooking”, pressing the rice grains between your fingers. The berries should be sensitive and not have a hard center.