Buy iPhone 6? Check how to completely erase your old iPhone first
Now that Apple has announced the launch of the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus, many of you may be looking to upgrade. This means that some of you want to sell your old iPhone, which leads us to the inevitable task of ensuring that your data is safely removed from the device. You do not want strangers have access to your data. To avoid boredom, here is a guide to help you safely remove all data from your iPhone.
According to Apple, all iPhone 3GS iPhones come forward with hardware encryption, so if someone tries to use data recovery software on your iPhone, your information will stay safe. According to Apple, you simply delete completely your data is erased using its functions. For this to work, you must have a password enabled. To do this, follow these steps:
1. On your iPhone, go to Settings> Passcode.
2. Tap Enable PIN.
3. You will be prompted to enter an access code and submit it again for verification. Here, the password is activated.
4. The last line on the page should be “Data protection is enabled.”
After that, you can delete all your data. Here’s what you need to know:
Create a Backup
Before cleaning your data, be sure to back up your iPhone to avoid data loss, while changing phones.
1. Go to Settings> iCloud> Storage and Backup.
2. Turn the switch marked with iCloud backup. You will get a warning telling you that your iPhone will not automatically backup your computer. Play well.
3. If iCloud Backup is enabled, press Save. This will start backing up your data on iCloud.
4. Note that if you use iCloud backup, everything will also be deleted manually delete the backup. Do not manually delete phone numbers, photos, etc. Unless you do not want to return to your new device.
5. If you do not want to use iCloud or if your Internet speed is low, you can also back up your data using iTunes. First, connect your iPhone to the computer. ITunes also allows a backup of all downloaded applications and data from these applications. Icloud offers up to 5 GB of free space and beyond what you will have to pay. So if you have a lot of data on your iPhone, iTunes backup is best because it is free and does not require Internet.
6. Open iTunes. Click iPhone at the top right next to iTunes.
7. Automatic Backup, select the Encrypt iPhone copy security option. Now, a password for your iTunes backup. We recommend doing this because backing up your iPhone may contain sensitive data such as passwords and personal content that may not want others to see. If you enable this option, you must enter a password if you want to restore iTunes backup. This prevents unauthorized access data.
8. Under Update manually and restore, click Backup Now to start backing up your iPhone. This process takes some time, especially if it is the first time you perform a backup of the data. Make sure you have plenty of time before you do it. It took a little more than 40 minutes to make a backup for the first time.
9. Once you have made essential data backups from the default applications, iTunes asks if you want to transfer purchases. This essentially takes a backup of all the applications installed on your phone, as well as the data downloaded in these applications. To do this, you must log in with your Apple ID. We take a backup of 97 applications in this way and after restore, that almost all applications had kept a copy of the backed up data. A podcast application could not save downloaded podcasts and mail applications needed to authenticate again. Apart from this, the backup saved everything, including unread notifications.
If the iPhone is with you
Once you have made a backup, you are ready to delete your data.
1. Go to Settings> General> Reset.
2. On this page you will see several options to restore the saved data. To delete it, tap Clear All Content and Settings.
3. You will be prompted to enter your PIN. If your phone has a password constraint, used to block certain websites and content, you will also need to enter this code.
4. After that, you will see warnings saying that this will delete all media and data. Press the Delete button twice.
5. After that, you must enter your Apple ID password. This step applies only if you have activated the Find My iPhone service. It is an effective flight. After you have provided your password, your iPhone will be erased and the next owner can activate the phone with your Apple ID.
6. Once you get a new iPhone, you can quickly restore your iCloud backup backup by selecting Restore from iTunes Backup or Restore instead of Define as New iPhone.
If the iPhone is not with you
In case you lose your phone and want to delete it to keep your data safe, you can use
Find My iPhone service. This service is free, and ideally always active.
1. The first step is to make sure that the service is on your device now. On your iPhone, go to Settings> iCloud.
2. Drag the switch to turn on Locate my iPad, and is on.
3. This can be useful if you lose your phone or sell it without remembering to erase all data. Assuming you have activated this service, removing everything is simple. First, log in using your iCloud Apple ID.
4. Click All Devices at the top and select your iPhone from the device list.
5. Select Clear iPhone in the upper right box> click Delete in the next pop-up.
6. After you click Delete, a new button appears, called Delete Account. Click this link to detach the phone from your account and prevent the new owner access data.
7. If you have sold your iPhone without deleting your data and Find My iPhone is not activated on your phone, the best thing to do is change the password for your Apple ID. This will not prevent the next owner from accessing the data already stored on the device, but will ensure that the data can not delete your iCloud account. Here’s how to change your Apple ID password.
8. Visit the Apple website. Enter your Apple ID and click Next.
9. You can now choose between authenticating email or answering questions to change your password. Choose your preferred method and click Next.
10. You will be asked to verify your date of birth before continuing. Fill in the details and click Next.
11. Answer the security questions and click Next and follow the link sent to their saved e-mail addresses.
12. You can now enter your new Apple ID password, re-enter and click Reset Password.