What paperwork do i need to sell my car?

Bureaucracy in United States scares many people, and buying or selling a car is no different. There are those who avoid paperwork by using the dispatcher, paying extra money and avoiding complications. But if you are the type who likes to do everything yourself, here is information about the documents needed to negotiate cars, both new and used.

Buying a car zero

If you go to a dealership to buy a 0km car, it is very likely that the store will take care of all the documentation related procedures. If this is not the case, you can file paperwork for your new vehicle yourself.

The documents to be issued are the Vehicle Registration Certificate (CRV), which acts as a car purchase and sale certificate (and must be kept in a safe place), and the Vehicle Registration and Licensing Certificate (CRLV), the popular “role of the car”, which must be carried whenever it circulates through the streets and roads of the country.

To order them, you must go to a service unit indicated by Detran with the following documents:

– RG and CPF (original and copy);

– Proof of address (original and copy, no more than three months before);

– Copy of the manufacturer’s invoice;

– Original invoice of the resale, issued by the concessionaire or by the manufacturer;

– Decal of the chassis;

– Renavam form (National Registry of Motor Vehicles), available on the websites of Detrans in each state;

– Proof of payment for the first registration and registration.

When presenting these documents, guides for the payment of IPVA and DPVAT (mandatory insurance) are issued. With them paid, the CRV and CRLV are issued, as well as the generation of the license plate number. After that, with the paperwork ready and the vehicle physically registered, you are free to ride your new car!

Used Car Transactions

When buying a used car, before closing the deal, it is good to check if it has no pending issues, such as assessments, open fees and unpaid fines. To do this, just enter the website of the DMV, with the vehicle’s Renavam and license plate number. If the car is purchased at a store, the owner is required by law to give the history. It is also important to check that the chassis and engine numbers match those on the vehicle’s documents – if there are differences, the headache can be huge.

Did you close a deal? You now have 30 days to transfer the car to your name. Attention: failure to meet this deadline is considered a serious infraction, yielding five points in your wallet! In addition, without the transfer, the former owner can ask for the vehicle to be blocked to avoid receiving fines and charges. To solve this, just go to Detran with these documents:

– CRV completed and signed by the former owner, with notarized signature;

– CRLV of the vehicle (original and copy);

– RG and CPF of the new owner (original and copy);

– Proof of buyer’s address (original and copy, maximum three months before);

– Two copies of the Renavam form, available on the websites of Detrans in each state;

– Two decals of the chassis;

– Proof of payment of the issuance fee of the new CRV and other debts, if any.

If you are going to sell your car to individuals, it is necessary to complete and sign the vehicle’s CRV, with notarization, and make the sale communication to Detran. In many cases, it can be done online.

If you are selling your car to a store, the registration is immediately passed to the company name at the time the vehicle enters the stock. This procedure went into effect in 2017, aiming to reduce bureaucracy, and it is done entirely online.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *