Sleeping in your car : is it allowed or not? Here’s a key question, especially when planning a long drive . This tip sheet gives you all the information you need to know about sleeping in your car .
Sleeping in your car: a legal practice?
Today, the law does not prohibit sleeping in your car under certain conditions:
- The car must not be parked for more than 24 hours in the same place at the risk of finding your vehicle at the Chambéry impound if you are in this zone.
- Some town halls do not allow sleeping in your vehicle . If this ban is implemented, signs are installed at the entrance to cities.
- It is forbidden to show off.
- Some countries also prohibit sleeping in your car. If you are going abroad, find out before you leave.
- If you sleep in your car after a festive evening, you must sit in the rear seats or on the passenger seat and remove the ignition keys so as not to be penalized by the police.
Sleeping in your car: is it possible to fit out the car?
There too, nothing prevents to make some adjustments in order to sleep in your car . However, certain rules must be observed:
- If you fit out your vehicle and this changes the technical characteristics of the car mentioned on the registration document, you must notify the DREAL (Regional Directorate for the Environment, Planning and Housing) and the technical control.
- If you are fitting out your car, you don’t have to make any declarations.
The different places allowed to sleep in your car
As you can see, sleeping in your car is therefore not prohibited by law. On the other hand, finding a place to sleep without risking a fine can quickly become complicated. Among the authorized places, you can find car parks for heavy goods vehicles and car parks open 24 hours a day. Some residential areas may also allow sleeping in your car, but inquire beforehand as some require a special sticker to be affixed to the windshield.
How to sleep in your car safely?
If you want to sleep in your vehicle, here are some safety rules:
- Lock the doors.
- Don’t leave anything lying around at the risk of attracting thieves.
- Turn off all parts of your vehicle (lights, car engine , etc.).
And here. You now know all the essential information for sleeping in your car . If you plan to spend a night in your vehicle , know that you can either sit in the back seats or sleep sitting up. Also, depending on the season, do not forget the necessary equipment: in winter, bring blankets and warm clothes and in summer remember to take a fogger and avoid parking in full sun.